Thursday, February 17, 2011

Test 1 grade distribution

In the event you were not in class on Wednesday, Feb. 16, when the test results were returned and discussed, you will need to know the following:

Given the rather poor performance on the written problem, I dropped it from the score. So your score is merely the raw score on the multiple choice out of a possible 30 points. (Those few that actually "nailed" the written problem will get some sort of "bonus points". For now, you will know if you got the bonus if you have a "+" (plus sign) on your written response as well as on the computer printout of the multiple choice results.

The printout has the answer key as well as your responses. If you got the answer correct, you have a ".". If you missed the problem, you will have a number indicating your response. You can compare that to the correct answer.

Use the following scale as a guideline for interpreting you score:

A: 23+
B: 18 - 22
C: 14 - 17
D: 10 - 13
F: 9 and lower.

But really, any grade score than half the points (15) isn't that good. I know each test has its inherent and unique bias. However, I've taught this course more than almost any other course and I think I know what constitutes a fair test. I do curve but as I say on the syllabus, if you're not hitting at least half credit you should really pick up the effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home