Test 1 grade distribution
Ok, so the scores were not ideal, but since I strongly believe that each test has an inherent difficulty bias, it is appropriate that some adjustment or "curve" be in place. Now the following is not an "official curve" since the only curve that matters is the one based on final scores at the end of the semester. However, the following information shows how I go about setting a curve and the grade ranges given are to be used only as a guideline as to the quality of your work.
Ultimately, the curve at the end of the semester will essentially be a weighted average of the curves for the test. Remember, this is only a guideline. I do not record a letter grade (therefore at some future point in the semester, it will be inappropriate to say to me "I got a B on the first test and a C on the second test, will I still be able to get an A?" What matters is how high or low of a score you got in those B or C ranges. I give you the scale so that you can personally assess the quality of your work.
First, some descriptive statistics out of 35 possible points (divide your raw score by 35 and then multiply by 100 to put your score into percentage terms):
average = 21.28 (60.8%)
median = 21.5 (61.4%)
standard deviation = 4.36 (12.5%)
My goal is an average of 80% with a standard deviation of 10%.
I use the average or median (or maybe somewhere between the two) as the lowest "B" and the A-B break approximately one standard deviation above and the C-D break one standard deviation below the mean. The F range would be more than one standard deviation below the mean.
Here is a useful guide for interpretation of your scores (this may vary slightly from the one presented in class, but not by very much):
A range: 26+ (15 observations)
B range: 21.5 - 25 (35 observations)
C range: 17 - 21 (31 observations)
D range: 12.5-16.5 (15 observations)
F range: 12 and lower (1 observation)
I always like it when the sum of the As and Bs is greater than the sum of Cs, Ds, and Fs. I think this is a very fair scale.
If you did not get the score you hoped for, most can do better with the following advice: spend more time with the material. Cram sessions have quick diminishing marginal productivity. You should keep up with the readings. You should actually attempt to do the homework. You should not just read your notes and use a highlighter. Try copying your notes or typing them up. Allocate some time for this activity. I know this class competes with other time. Time is a scarce resource. Allocate wisely.
You will have a second test and I will give you information on a "half term grade" after the second test.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home