Calculating Opportunity Cost
“I saw how you did the Gilligan and Mary Ann example in class but I’m not sure how to answer this problem.”
First, find the opportunity cost of producing one unit of each good. The “cost” is in terms of the other good. The following example applies to
30 lbs spaghetti = 50 lbs meatballs
To get the opportunity cost of spaghetti in terms of meatballs, solve the above equation for 1 lb of spaghetti. That is, divide both sides by 30. So
30 lbs/30 = 50lbs/30 or 1 lb spaghetti = 5/3 lbs meatballs.
Similarly, the opportunity cost of a pound of meatballs can be found by dividing both sides by 50. So 30 lbs/50 = 50 lbs/30 or 1 lb meatballs = 3/5 spaghetti.
It doesn't matter if you draw the PPFs on the same set of axies or separate diagrams.
P.S. In referencing the text, I was mistaken when mentioning the opportunity cost/comparative advantage example. It is "Tom and Hank" as "Castaways". Your PPFs should look like Figure 2-4 on p. 26.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home