Welcome!
I don't know about you but I'm ready for another round of IUP education! I'll try to do my best to help you along. A positive attitude and willingness to learn are sufficient to get by Econ 121. Being curious will serve you even better. The economy is a rather complex organizm. However, a few basic principles will soon come to light. I think this class, more than any, will get you into discussions with family members. At Thanksgiving dinner Uncle Joe will ask you about school and your classes and he'll surely ask you about what you're learning in economics. Let's hope you have something to talk about. And if we do it right, you'll get into some good arguments. Maybe a fist fight! ;-) (Ok, I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.)
If you need to contact me, please email me at jjulian@iup.edu, or IM me at screen name CinciDood.
Here are a few links that I like...in an academic sense:
New York Times. Register to get access to headlines, stories, and emails. They won't send you a bunch of junk (unless you want them to).
Google News. A great source of news.
Slate. Great analysis of news, culture, politics, etc.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Government source of stats on unemployment and inflation.
Bureau of Economic Analysis. Government source of stats on production and income.
Federal Reserve. Our country's central bank. This is one of the most powerful and fascinating institutions in our society. It also tends to fly under the radar. It's worth learning about this institution. Click "About the Fed" to find some things to read.
The Onion. America's Finest News Source.
Stuff about your textbook author:
Paul Krugman's official page.
Unofficial Paul Krugman page.
Other:
Toothpaste for dinner.
I hope you have a good semester. JJ.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home